Subject: [Leica] RE: M4P framelines/faster flash synch on M-Leica
From: Bruce & Kathryn Mercer <bkmercer@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 00:59:29 +1200

Greetings all

This is my first message to this list, though I've been a Lurker for some
time now.

Question1: I have an M4P plus 35mm Summicron and 50mmSummicron lenses. When
I attach the 35mm to the body, the corresponding 35/135mm framelines appear
as normal, however, the 50mm frameline also appears, making for a very
"busy" veiwfinder!.-- Can anyone tell me whether the 50mm frameline should
be there as I understand only the 35/135mm should appear?--if not, what
adjustments are required?.

Question2: As I understand it, the Olympus OM 3TI has a horizontal cloth
focal plane shutter, not unlike the Leica-M. It too, has a slow sync. Speed
(1/60) when using normal flash. It also has the ability to synchronise up
to 1/2000 sec when used with the dedicated F-280 flash by using the "Super
FP (focal plane)" flash mode on the flash. Is it conceivable that this
unit, if used on the M-camera, could allow for higher sync. Speeds and if
not, surely Leica would have provided something similar with their new
flash just released?.--I realise that FP flash at faster shutter speeds
reduces the effective power of the flash considerably, but for the purposes
of slight fill-in, this would not be too much of a concern.
As a working photojournalist, I too love the "available light" of my
photographs but there are times, particularly in high contrasting light
when fill-in flash is necessary, if the photo is too succeed. Ideally a
reflector of sorts could do the job, but all too often one does not have
the time nor the "eight" arms required to hold both camera and reflector.
Hence my predominant use of SLR cameras.
I'd be interested in your thoughts, apologies if this query has been
discuss previously
Thanks for your time
Bruce Mercer