Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 w goggles on M6 (wasM6TTL desirable?)
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@sysnet.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 22:46:15 +0000

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:39:09 -0400 (EDT), Andrew M. Moore wrote:

>It sounds like this
>goggle lens might help.  How big is it; where does it sit on the M6;
>are they still in production; what am I likely to have to pay for one?

   They are about the size of any other 35mm lens, but they have
"eyes" or "spectacles" on them similar to the closeup finder for
the dual range Summicron. In all but the earliest examples, the
eyes are not removable, unlike with the DR Summicron. Leitz made
them in the following configurations: 35mm f/3.5 Summaron, 35mm
f/2.8 Summaron (I have one of these; it's superb), 35mm f/2
Summicron, and 35mm f/1.4 Summilux. These are listed in order of
introduction and also of rarity. None is currently in production.
Good deals are out there on the Summarons if you don't have to
have it by day after tomorrow. Watch the Leica Catalog,
Shutterbug, et al., and eventually you'll find one at a sane
price. The Summicron is pretty scarce and priced accordingly; the
Summilux is downright rare, again with commensurate price.

   Some complain that the VF is dim with these lenses, but I've
never found that to be so. The main problem is that with the
eyes, the lenses don't fit as nicely in one's pants pocket! The
eyes sit in front of the VF and RF windows.

>I'd also love to find something similar for the IIIf.  I currently use
>an external viewfinder (covers 35 to 135) but it's a bit large and
>the left/right image reversal is difficult to get used to.

   Get a VIOOH or Imarect finder. They are pretty common.

**
**                         Howard Sanner
**                Kirsten Flagstad Discographer
**                  Ampex Mailing List Founder
**                     flagstad@sysnet.net
**
*/