Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL desirable?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:09:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/98 3:24:22 PM EST, ken.lee@hbc.com writes:

> Jay,
>
>  Just curious.....  What do you prefer about the M3?  As an eyeglass wearer,
>  I found it difficult to see the full 50mm frame in the M3 finder.  I traded
>  the M3 in on an M6HM and I love it.  The 50mm framelines are easy for me to
>  see and in a pinch I can use a 35. It just means I have to look around a
bit
>  to see everything.  I don't know how common my "problem" is maybe it is
made
>  worse because I am left eyed.
>
>  Ken
                          I don't prefer the M3 (although the 50 frame in an
M3 is much more visible for me than the 35 in an HM).  I don't use a 35 in a
pinch, I use it 50-75% of the time, and having to grind my face into the
finder and rotate my head to see the view kind of defeats the quick-action
virtue of the M, I think.  My point was that if I can't have full access to
the 35 frame, and need an independent finder, I'd just as soon have the 50
frame stretched to where I can just see it with my glasses, and then the 90
and 135 frames would be comparably larger as well...like on the M3.  Then it
would be like back in '58 when you could carry 2 bodies (M3 and M2) each
optimized for various focal lengths.  IMHO, for glasses-wearers who use the 35
lens a lot, the M6HM is not the way to go.  I also don't find the 90 and 135
frames sufficiently larger (as compared, again, to the M3) to "wow" me,
either.  My .72-mag M's with the 90 and 135BL finders are better--for *me*.  A
lot also depends on the curvature and thickness of your glasses and the
distance they sit from your eyeball.  Some glasses take you farther away from
the eyepiece than others, making the problem worse.  I wish I could wear
contacts or get lasered!

Jay