Subject: [Leica] Polarizer filters/Leica/E55
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:28:42 EDT

A couple months ago I made an adaptor which lets me use the new swing-out
"universal" polarizer on an E55 lens (in my case the 90 Summicron) and I
posted the directions here...if the fellow who made the inquiry wishes to make
one please drop me an e-mail and I'll send it.  I agree that the new-style
swinging polarizer is cumbersome, but what I like about it is that when I want
a shot non-polarized I can just swing it out of the way quickly.
Jim's technique (using 2 Heliopan polarizers) is an excellent one, and that's
what I did for non-E39 lenses prior to the new polarizer.  Actually, you don't
need Heliopans...in fact, you can mix 'n match brands and   You simply need to
calibrate all your on-lens filters to each other like this:  hold one filter
up to some reflective surface, or the blue sky, and turn it to maximum effect.
Without rotating it, take a nail-file and make a scribe mark on the rim at 12
o'clock.  Standing in the same exact position, look through each of the other
polarizers, rotate them each to maximum effect and make similar scribe marks
at 12 o'clock.  Now, just look through any of the filters, rotate to the
desired polarization effect, note where the scribe mark is (i.e. what
"o'clock") and set the on-lens filter the same way.  (It doesn't matter
whether you think of the clock from behind or in front of the camera, because
polarization "repeats" the same effect at 180-degrees.)

The 2-filter trick works with other rotating-mount filters too.  I've done it
for years with graduated ND filters (although they aren't nearly as useful as
the rectangular ones because you can't make vertical adjustments of the grad
line).

Jay