Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 21 ASP OR HASSELBLAD 503cm with ?? (undecided)
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:48:41 -0700

At 09:46 AM 9/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I would jump to medium format. It's a whole different world. I think
>you'll have more fun with it. The Hasselblad is also very portable,
>unlike most other MF systems.

Please, this is not to start an MF discussion/war, but that last sentence
is pretty off the wall. I would like an explanation.

I'm curious... what makes a Hasselblad more potable than other MF systems?
Am I missing something?

Pentax 6x7, Pentax 645, Fuji GA645i & GA645Wi, Rollei, and the list goes
on. In my estimation, the Hasselblad is no more portable than any of the
others, except perhaps the RB67 (big) and the few MF studio view cameras.
The FUJI's handle like bluffed-up M6's ( much more portable than the Hassy)
as is the 35mm SLR look-alike Pentax 6x7. I've owned and used
professionally, two different Hasselblad systems, over the years. Other
than Zeiss lenses, they really have no advantages over most other MF
cameras, and are a whole lot less portable than some.

Advantages are things like interchangeable backs, interchangeable finders,
large lens selection... but not portability. Most Fuji's and Pentax's are
far more portable than the Hasselblad.

Jim

PS... If you want the ultimate in portability, image quality, and ease of
use, the Leica M6 with ASPH lenses is just about it. Get that 21 ASPH. If
you want more information on a larger film size, don't go half way... go to
a 4x5 field camera. Swings and tilts, sharp grainless 20x24 Cibachromes.
Heaven.

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132

http://www.photoaccess.com