Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens choice
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:31:02 -0500

Gib,
I have the Leitz 2X Extender and the 180 Elmar.  I used this combination in
Alaska with Kodachrome 200.  I was able to obtain some good results.  However, I
wouldn't recommend this combination.

Even with the Elmar wide open you have an effective aperture of f/8 and that
results in a pretty dim viewfinder...even with a Leicaflex SL.   The 2.8 Elmarit
would work much better.

Both the Elmar and the Extender are great optics.  It's just that the
combination isn't very convenient.

A good Extender will cost you $495 (more for the SL/SL-2 version).  A decent 400
mm f/6.8 Telyt will probably cost about $800 with the stock.  This would be a
better solution if you could justify it.

BTW,  I recently got a book from the library where the Telyts were used
extensively by the photographer.  The results were terrific and the photographer
raved about these lenses.

Bud