Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's Future
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:52:39 -0400

Interesting reading, to say the least. I agree in part to all that has so
far transpired; I think everyone of you have touched on valid points, but
noone has mentioned the limited line that Leica offers.
No one or two cameras will ever satisfy every customer; I don't hesitate to
mention Nikon and Canon. They have everything from cheap point and shoots to
the fabled F5, and EOS Elan II and seem to cover the gamut of photographic
usage. I personally think that Leica could offer a wider range of cameras,
no doubt based on three or so good designs, but with different features. The
R8 for example could, like Nikon's line, be available in a manual focus
model like they offer now, and an autofocus model for those who need the
feature for their type of photography. I see nothing wrong with having an
R8, and an R8AF, and they could still offer a mechanical version- possibly
an R8.2, harkening back to the R6.2.
In the rangefinder lineup- the same basic chassis could support both
mechanical and electronic shutters, and various viewfinder configurations.
R&D is no problem, most of the features are already available as current
technology, and including cameras with some more plastic components might
make an economical alternative for some, yet would still mount the Leica
lenses. Even the lenses might be offered in two lines like Nikons offering
for the pros one line, and the amateur another with plastic mounts and
barrels.
Just some random thoughts.
Dan
dwpost@msn.com