Subject: Re: [Leica] Archival Film Storage
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:09:47 -0400

At 08:52 AM 9/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Ulesmann would be the first to say there are no bad negs.
>Cutting out selected images from strips to mount in slide carriers seems
>counter productive.
>
>If you bracket your exposures you might have a good print candidate
>either right or left of your 'perfect' image, one that may later become
>less perfect for some unknown reason.
>I hope a person that uses this method of archiving at least saves the
>'discarded' images in some way.
>
>While montage is not for the faint of heart, those 'worthless' shots
>might just become the linch pin for a fantastic print.

Phil -

Don't tell me this!  :-(   Editing is the hardest thing I do.  There is no
way I could save everything, but it stil kills me to throw away something I
"might be able to use someday".  I find my ratio of discards is directly
related to the available light.  When there is almost no light, I am happy
to get one or two savers on a roll.  Without Leica M's and fast lenses even
those would be impossible.  The out-of-focus or motion-affected shots get
thrown out.  If I saved them all, I'd have to build another house!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP

<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>