Subject: [Leica] Zeiss and Kyocera and Bud Cook
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:48:40 -0400

At 01:50 PM 1998-09-26 -0500, Bud Cook wrote:
>If you say that Kyocera can manufacture an
>identical lens for half the price, so be it.

Bud

I suspect you have analyzed the Zeiss-Kyocera connection backwards.  Zeiss
had first been approached by Pentax, but Pentax insisted that Zeiss
continue to manufacture all lenses for their joint camera project.  At this
time, Zeiss was most anxious to leave the photographic lens business --
after all, then make a minuscule portion of their profit (5% to 10%) from
camera lenses, the rest being from these rifle scopes you deride (sport
optics), industrial, scientific, technical, and military applications.

Yashica grudgingly agreed to produce Zeiss lenses, but only if Zeiss agreed
to stringent quality controls:  Yashica was quite concerned that "made in
Japan" Zeiss lenses would not sell well in Japan otherwise.

It has been a marriage of great success to both parties.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!