Subject: Re: [Leica] Slides, Negs and Pic Storage
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:24:53 -0400

At 01:32 PM 9/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Luggers:
>
>I have too many negatives, slides and pictures piling up!!  I want to sort
and
>catalog the best I have and toss the rest.  Any suggestions on how to
>sort/store slides, negatives and pics??  I want to keep everything neat,
using
>as little space as possible.
>
>TIA
>
>Arturo

Hi, Arturo -

I store all slides, negatives, and prints in lateral filing cabinets (11 of
them!!).  The slides and negatives are all stored in hanging slide pages,
20 slides to a page.  The negatives are also cut apart and mounted in slide
mounts for storage so that I can store them by subject.  (This also makes
them easier to scan.)  I use the filing system of the old PhotoTrack
software - 3 numbers for a country (or state), two numbers for a subject,
next three numbers for slide page, and next two for position on the page.
For example,  Number 61953-13206 tells me that the country is Honduras
(619), the subject is families (53), this particular slide belongs on slide
page 132 in slot number 6.  With this system, I can locate any of my over
300,000 photos in less than a minute.  (If I got around to refiling it!)
Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP

<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>