Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Vest
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 13:17:45 EDT

Most of the photojournalist vests (as apart from the ones with huge padded
compartments made to hold heavy SLR's/lenses) are quite similar.  The Domke
vest has more exposed mesh (especially in front) making it a bit cooler for
warm weather.  The Banana Republic vest has one annoying fault, in that only
one of the lower front pockets zips closed (at least the one I have is this
way).  My preferred vest is the Orvis Travel Vest, which has two zip-closure
pockets that will each hold an M body, plus enough other pockets to accomodate
lenses, small flash, film, etc. and a lower back pocket that takes a Leitz
table tripod with ball head. It also has a brass ring on the upper breast to
which a lightmeter can be attached by a lanyard and then slipped into a lower
pocket...makes it accessible but safe from dropping.  The Orvis vest is also
available in an olive green, which I prefer because it doesn't soil as easily.
The cost is also under USD$100.  The Woolrich vest someone mentioned is almost
an exact clone of the Orvis (or vice-versa?).

Jay