Subject: Re: [Leica] T-max vs. Tri-X
From: Bob McLean <rmmclean@cyberus.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:36:29 -0500

  Hi:
    Regarding Tri-x and T-Max, there is a lot to be said for trying the
same film under the same conditions and evaluating the results. I
waffled for years before finally realizing the pictures I made from
T-Max 100 and Tri-x were more pleasing to me, and those from T-Max 400,
although fine grained and having more resolution, had an unpleasant
tonality.
    My favorite combinations are Tri-x in D-76, T-max RS or Hc-110, and
T-Max 100 in Rodinal 1:50. The T-Max 100 and Rodinal do justice to good
lenses, and make pleasing tonal scales.
    I also eventually realized HP5 was not the film for me, after
shooting quite a bit of it. For some reason, I don't mind it in 120
size.
    It's a subjective thing, to be sure. There are a few things that
can't be argued with though:
    Tri-x has more grain, less resolving power
    T-Max 100 is slower than a lot of conditions permit.
    BUT both look good on a Selenium-toned Galerie or Seagull 11x14....

Bob