Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax MF AF - Leica's help?
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:11:24 +0200

Difference Detection

</fontfamily></excerpt>

That is what Contax uses to describe their new MF camera's autofocus
system.

If I'm not mistaken, the Correfot system (Leica's AF) is also Phase
difference detection. Like it looks at subject through a grid that
vibrates and uses the double image to determine distance. Wonder if, like
rumors of the Contax AX, Leica had something to do with their AF
system?

- --

Eric Welch

</excerpt>

<<<<<<<<

#############

Poor Correfot. The Leica R&D dpt was all at sea with it.

BTW all the AF systems for reflex cameras are built on the same phase
difference detection principle but with an electronic device and not with
a mechanical one such as the Leica vibrating grid.

I sought some 10 years ago the correfot device on a microscope system in
a U. lab but I don't remember where and which system !My memory is fading
as a correfot.

Seriously when I see the new Elmarit 180 with the focusing made by one
floating element, I guess that Leica is preparing something.

Dominique Pellissier