Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: lightwieght landscape photography
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:42:19 -0400

Jeremy-
I couldn't agree with you more! From my safe vantage point in the lab at the
shop, I see many people come in to buy a camera. They state emphatically
that they don't wish to spend more than, say the equivalent of 60-70 pounds
( 100 dollars?). Their next question what do you have at that price, and
DOES IT TAKE GOOD PICTURES?
Talk about sputtering in your beer! The salesman has told me that he has
been tempted on more than one occasion to say that if that's all they are
willing to spend, then they get the results they deserve!
IT seems that more people are interested in spending the least amount
possible for camera, film and processing, then they expect their photos to
look like those they see on the Ansel Adams calendar. Your suggestion of the
older cameras for good results is lost on too many of the folks out there.
They want to make no decisions other than when to press the shutter release.
I still have some wondering looks shot my way when I tell someone that what
I spent on my IIIf and Summitar, and the CLA to get it in prime working
order was as much as I would have spent on a Rebel or EOS- and HORRORS, I
still have to set the speed, aperture, and focus myself!
Glad to see you back with us, and cheers!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com