Subject: [Leica] Lousy M 6 frame lines
From: Urban Fredriksson <griffon@uno.canit.se>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:35:39 +0200 (MET DST)

goldman@math.umn.edu wrote:

>In fact the 90 lines are so bad that I hardly ever use a 90 on
>the M6.

I only use 50 mm if I can't use 90 mm, but yes, I'd like
better frame lines.

> I have heard from a very good repairman that Leica replaced a
>prism with a mirror in the M6 finder system (as compared to the M4) and
>this accounts for many of the problems.

And supposedly on M4-2 as well? Could explain some of my
experience with this model:
   Three months ago, I purchased a second hand example...

> Also note that we used to get the
>corners as part of the frame, but no longer.

...which I choose _because_ its 90 mm frame includes the
corners (which makes it different from later M4-2s I
gather).
   As it turned out, at shorter distances it didn't focus
correctly, not even 35mm@f2.8 was enough to bring depth of
focus onto the subject. Returned it for warranty repairs,
got it back -- adjusted but now too much in the other
direction -- nor was the sticking 90 mm frame fixed.
Handed it in again, first learned that "a mask" had to be
imported from Germany (then that the repairperson was away
and that "it's a delicate adjustment, so he needs to be
concentrated". After that, the frames didn't stick, but
distance was just as much off. (And he had decided that
the mask wasn't needed after all.)
   Last Friday, which happens to be three months and one
day since I bought it, the salesperson (who the latest
time wanted "one chance" to deliver a working camera)
called and said it's now adjusted to "tighter than factory
specs". Haven't gone to collect it yet, so I don't know if
it's true. Hope so, but most of what I wanted it for this
summer, I obviously couldn't. (I want a second body so I
can have it loaded with B&W film or slower film, and
sometimes not to miss moments when changing film.)

I had sort of hoped that the M6x.85 would have a full 90
mm frame. Probably couldn't have afforded it, but I'd've
waited and not spent the money on _this_ M4-2.
- --=20
 Urban Fredriksson  griffon@canit.se  http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
 Photo pages with: T400CN - photos and opinion,
 Gallery (updated 1998 Sep 15 with Bj=F6rkliden photos)
 and (a bit) more at: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/1568/pix.ht=
ml