Subject: RE: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:31:02 -0500

At 04:49 PM 9/19/98 -0400, you wrote:

>While I think my M6 and its lenses are fabulous, I also think that Leica
>equipment is over-priced compared to other excellent photographic equipment.
>In fact, I would say that, with exception, much of the equipment is priced
>at least $500 per lens and body above where it should be.

Based on what? When Nikon looked into doing a rangefinder, they discovered
it would cost more than a Leica M6 to do. Why? Because Leica's been doing
it for so many years, and the tools are amortized.

>One of the reasons for this is, quite simply, that the M is the last real
>interchangable lens rangefinder. If you want a camera of this type, you have
>to pay what ever Leitz demands.
>
>Also, because the equipment is the last of a breed, and because it is so
>expensive, it is also extremely collectible. The prices in the used market
>are kept up by the fact that so much of the early equipment disappears into
>collectors cabinets, rather than into users camera bags. Thus one is forced
>to pay what ever the manufacturer demands for new equipment.
>
>I wonder just how pricey Leica RF equipment would be if Nikon and Canon were
>still in the game. Expensive? Yes. But as expensive? I doubt it. It would
>have been interesting to see what would have happened to Leica prices had
>the G1/2 been a "real" rangefinder. There certainly is not a
>value-justifiable difference in the prices of its lenes - for instance, the
>21 2.2, and the Leicas.
>
>But that's just my very humble opinion.

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the
photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him (and her) to keep
on looking.

- -Brooks Atkinson, 1951