Subject: [Leica] Portraits and "too sharp" lenses
From: Andrew Morang <morang@magnolia.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:49:40 -0500

I agree that some modern lenses seem a bit too sharp or harsh for =
portraits.  For gents, it is usually all right to show the bemishes and =
cuts and scrapes in almost clinical detail.  But ladies often like a =
slightly smoother look.

Looking back at my portraits, I believe my best ones were photographed =
with a screw-mount Pentax 105 mm lens.  It was slightly soft at close =
focus at f/2.8 - just fantastic for portraits.  Unfortunately, as my eye =
sight has deteriorated, I find it almost impossible to focus the rather =
dim viewfinder of the Spotmatic.=20

My second best portrait lens is the 50 f/2.8 Elmar-M, which has a =
wonderful quality at f/2.8.

Have any LUG readers used the older 90 M lenses such as the 90 f/4?  =
Possibly these older formulations would be better portrait lenses than =
the newest designs.

Andy Morang
Vicksburg, Mississippi, USA