Subject: Re: [Leica] Critical test reports by CDI
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:14:12 +0200

On 18-09-1998 06:27 Eric Welch wrote:

>How about a pattern of incompetence? There is no way that the competition
>can put a lens up against the 180 3.4 Apo Telyt and win, or even match it.
>Sure it costs a lot more for the little bit of difference. That was the
>wrong lens to use in this comparison on their part.

Eric,

no offense meant, but that is not what the lens sharpness/contrast chart
in CDI is suggesting. I realize the 180/3.4 was considered as a benchmark
lens in the past (and they admit it), but things have moved on now. The
results obtained my the latest version of the Nikkor 180/2.8 IF-ED is
comparable, but as for price difference, well...

If they did not test the newer 180/2.8 APO than it is more likely Leica's
fault for not supplying it to them and giving an old 180/3.4 instead. It
is more a question of, again (did you notice the pattern...), bad
marketing on their behalf.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch