Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 or R6.2?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:32:43 -0500

At 08:56 PM 9/17/98 +0200, you wrote:

>depending on the body and lens cocktail, a full R system is almost as
>heavy and cumbersome as some medium-format systems, and I maintain that.
>if you want we can go through the specs of quite a few MF setups (SLR,
>TLR, RF). No, not a Pentax 67 with 400mm lens ;-)

It doesn't come close to the weight of an MF system, with the same
capability as far as magnification (long and short lenses - some of which
are wide enough there are no equivalents in any MF system). That's my
point. My point about my objection is why do you have to bring up my name
at all? There's sarcasm and offense seemingly offered is such a statement.

>Than the M ? Yes, certainly. But exactly the same compositional control
>as a 30 USD Praktica (another German classic).

Hey, I learned to make my first pictures on a Praktica before I bought my
own first camera. Don't knock it. Your point ignores why I said what I
said, regardless of how true it is.

>Maybe so. i'm not even going to try to challenge this. But the question
>is: if you have the bucks, and the main application is landscapes, what
>should you choose ? I argue: if weight and volume are main concerns to
>you as a hiker, choose Leica M; if weight and volume are not important

Oh, did he say he was a hiker? I focused on the R6.2 vs. Nikon vs. M6
question. Slipped by on me.

>One clear family resemblance, for sure: the price range. Okay, sorry,

Good point. :-)

>points introduced by the initiator of this thread. And I repeat: I have
>never taken a picture through a R system, and would be very happy to own

Then please, don't go around telling people that Japanese cameras are just
as good. Use the R system, then you have a valid opinion.

>one, thank you. I would love to get my hands on a 100mm f2.8 macro R and
>a R8. But if the discussion is about doing landscapes, I say use the
>bucks to the best of needs...

We agree on that.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Maintenance-free: When it breaks, it can't be fixed