Subject: Re: [Leica] NEW LIST MEMBER
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:39:02 +0200

A 01:01 17/09/98 +-200, vous avez =E9crit :

>Hi gang.
>
>I'm new to the list. Was once an M user. Needed to return to SLR work. H=
ave=20
>always been interested however in the R System. I've studied it pretty w=
ell=20
>but you who are owners can actually help me out with the experienced fac=
ts.=20

>I am looking at the RE and the R5. I need TTL flash. But I am not so sur=
e=20
>about what I might be missing by getting an R5 instead of an R7. As for =
the=20
>R8, I'm getting horror stories over here in Europe about the electronics=
.=20
>Truth? Fiction?
>
>One last question, didnt Leica make a 180 f4? Was it any good?
>
>Any ideas or lens suggestions would be appreciated. I can be contacted=20
>directly at ainilsen@online.no
>
>Best,
>JG
______________________
The elmar R 180 was a good lens 10-15 years ago(distortion however). I ha=
one. The results were as good as a modern tele-zoom, for instance nikkor
AIS 4/80-200.I remember I had problems to focus in the VF of the R4 becau=
se
of the darkness of the focusing screen.
Today I think it is not a  good operation to buy such an old lens.I know
that I'm in for it when I say that, but the R system is interesting only
for the top level lenses (apo telyt) not for the current lenses which are
equal in quality (not in price...)to japanese ones.

Dominique Pellissier