Subject: [Leica] Favorite lenses!
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:12:57 -0400

On  Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Dan Post wrote:

>I am amazed at times when we go off on these threads! It's fun! So in th=
>spirit of things I'd like to say that my favorite Leica lens is the one =
>need at any particular time in order to get the image I want!
>They say disagreements are what makes horse races, and such gentlemanly
>disagreements make for interesting reading. What I would like to know,
when
>we expound upon the merits of our "favorite" lens, is what is the subjec=
>for which you favor that lens? What conditions make that lens a favorite=
?

Dan,

This sounds like fun!  Here are my favorites:

1) Kids in the classroom: 35mm Summicron-R.  A beautiful lens, especially=

wide-open.  Quick and easy to use, outstanding sharpness and flare
resistance, wonderful separation between the foreground "characters" and
their background peers.  I like it most on the R4sP in averaging mode.

2) Kids outdoors: easily, the 90mm Summicron-R is my favorite.  Stunning
color rendition and a fully usable f/2.0 aperture are the most obvious
qualities of this lens.  This was my 2nd Leica lens, purchased used in 19=
79
& converted to 3-cam.  My non-photographer wife made me swear never to se=
ll
it.  Hey, twist my arm!!  I use it on either the SL or the R4sP.  Either
way it's a beauty!

3) Medium- to large-sized mammals: the 280 f/4.8 Telyt-V on the SL.  I lo=
ve
the SL's viewscreen with the longer lenses.  Mammals usually let me get
close enough to use the 280 and I like the 280's perspective more than a
longer lens.  I use it with a collapsed monopod tucked under my armpit,
like a shoulder brace.  Next paycheck I'll start looking for a Televit.

4) birds, me in the open: the 400 f/6.8 Telyt on the SL, with the shoulde=
stock.  With the SL's viewscreen, the 400 snaps into focus with hardly an=

effort.  Follow-focussing birds in flight is no big deal.  The sharpness =
is
excellent, the color quality and "3-D effect" are amazing.  This was my
first Leica lens.  No wonder I got rid of the N**** stuff.  Like the 90, =
my
wife has insisted that I never sell it.

5) birds, me in a blind: the 560 f/6.8, on a tripod.  I never seem to pla=
ce
the blind close enough.  Optically the 560 is every bit as good as the 40=
0
but using it hand-held is more of a chore.  Using the 400 on a tripod see=
ms
like a perversion of  everything that is just, good and true but I can
justify using the 560 on the tripod 'cuz the results are so nice.  The SL=

is my body of choice.

Doug Herr
Sacramento