Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Airport security
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:26:30 -0400

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	B. D. Colen [SMTP:bdcolen@earthlink.net]
	Sent:	Friday, September 11, 1998 12:28 PM
	To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
	Subject:	RE: [Leica] Re: Airport security

	Buzz - I'll be they didn't take your word on whether that weird
looking
	thing in your bag was a box of batteries or a bomb!
	(Of course, if security was just being handled by the Kenyans alone
- - NOT
	the Israelis - a few bills can usually take care of any problem. As
when I
	went through customs entering Nairobi with photo gear, headed for
Somalia,
	and they wanted to charge me duty because I had more than one
camera! The
	bribe was a lot cheaper than the duty would have been...of course
the bride
	WAS the duty! :-)

	Ah, yes, the bribes I have paid; usually only a dollar or less when
crossing borders over-land.  At least, carrying Leicas that long ago, the
early to mid seventies, I didn't have any batteries to make anyone think I
had a bomb!  In Nairobi, though, it was Israeli security and, as you can
imagine, they didn't take anyone's word for anything and no bribe would have
deterred them from their tasks.

	Regards,

	Buzz

*	-----Orig