Subject: Re: [Leica] To 'POOF' or not to 'POOF' your camera...
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 01:33:48 -0400

Since we get all sorts of cameras, and camera problems in our store, I try
to pass on a couple of tips about using compressed gas in and around
cameras.
1.  Naturally, we all know not to shake the can or tip, as the liquid
contents can spray out. What most people don't know is that we used to use a
material called 'Electro-Wash' for degreasing electronic parts like tuners.
The difluorodichlrorhydrocarbons can dissolve lubricants in the camera, as
the liquid swooshes in, and deposit in places you don't want it. It can very
likely happen in lens helices.
2. Don't underestimate the pressure- it can damage fragile shutter curtains,
and pellicle mirrors. Never direct the force directly INTO the camera from
the outside; the best method is to put the tube applicator INSIDE the
camera, release the gas against something like the side of the chamber, or
mirror box, and blow stuff OUT of the camera. Just blowing gas into the
camera can drive dirt, film chips and various other detritus even deeper
into the bowels of your beloved Leica! The same for lenses- blowing directly
into the crevices can force grit, and crud even further into the works!
Use as little as possible pressure to remove dust from the glass itself,
usually an oblique angle is best- again, blowing directly on the glass can
possibly damage it. I used to etch patterns on glass with a stencil and an
small 'sand blaster' using less than 20 pounds of pressure!

I use a soft brush- I get the camel hair 'blusher' brush at the make-up
counter in the drugstore. It's cheap at 4-5 bucks, soft ( try to get a
plastic ferrule instead of metal), and I slide  a film canister with the
bottom cut out over the handle and over the bristles when not in use- and
store it in a zip lock bag. I use the compressed gas to keep the dust and
crud out of the brush. It is cheap enough that when I suspect it might be
too dirty to blow out, I pitch it!

I have a couiple of lenses that I have used for twenty years, and the glass
looks great; I can only hope that if I continue the same way, my newer
acquisitions will fare as well!

Dan, "the Sixty-minute Man"

dwpost@msn.com