Subject: Re: [Leica] m3/m6 wide angle advise
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:39:38 -0700

Paul C. Brodek wrote:

> Hi Gerry,
>
> On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 01:20:57 EDT, Gwpics@aol.com wrote:
>
> >I currently use an M6 with an M3 in reserve but rarely used.   My wide angle
> >is an old Summaron 35mm with specs but I now want to replace this with a 28mm
> >more suitable for the M6.
> >
> >Will I be able to use the new lens on the M3 with the turret viewfinder that I
> >have (Russian but inc. 28mm) and if I do how will I focus?
> You would focus normally through the M3 finder, then move your eye to
> the turret viewfinder to compose/frame the image and trip the shutter.
> I find this pretty easy to do; some have a hard time getting used to
> using an external viewfinder.  If your subject is moving a lot it can
> get tedious, I guess, having to switch back and forth several times
> before tripping the shutter.
>
> >Will it give me the 50mm brightline through the camera viewfinder
> I can never keep this straight!  I also can't remember whether the
> 50mm framelines are visible all the time in the M3 or only when a lens
> that selects the 50mm framelines is mounted.  Hopefully somebody else
> can help here----however, whether the 50, 90 or 135 framelines are
> projected, obviously none of them are correct and you need a separate
> viewfinder for accurate framing of a 28mm lens.

All the 35mm lenses with specs (goggles) bring up the 50mm frame lines,
no matter if its an M3, M6, M4, M2, they engage the 50mm frame lines.

The goggles reduce the magnification such that the 50mm frame  lines
show the 35mm angle of view.  Thus, apart from the small magnification,
the goggled lens will work on an M6 just fine.

Dennis