Subject: [Leica] R8 + Winder: Lithium Battery power curve
From: "GBICKET" <GBICKET@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:51:04 -0600

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BDDC09.A69F0E20

Hello all,

Learned something interesting today regarding lithium battery output =
dynamics which may be helpful to R8 LUGgers.  Perhaps some LUGgers are =
aware of this, and I suspect that this may be more a function of lithium =
battery output than it is of this particular application.  On Saturday =
last near Denver, Colorado, a small airport hosted a visit by an old =
B-17 and a Heinkel 111.  The Confederate Air Force owns these airplanes =
and for a nominal fee permitted walk [climb] through inspections.  =
Beautiful aircraft, and great fun.  Using primarily an Elmarit-R f2.8 =
24mm and a Vario-Elmar-R f4 35-70, I shot a couple rolls of 36 exposure =
film.  Everything functioned fine, and the winder drew film through the =
camera nicely.

At the beginning of the picture making, the battery readout on the back =
of the R8 indicated full battery power.  I have been noting the =
indicator readout when I turn on the camera for some time, as I expected =
the batteries would have failed well before this.  They Energizer =
lithium CR123A batteries were installed in March, 1998, and I have since =
put between 20 and 25 36-exposure rolls of film through the R8+Winder =
combination. =20

Certainly no complaint about battery life!

This morning, there was no trickle of power from these batteries.  Nada, =
niente, rien, zero, zippo.  Not even enough to light the meter, or =
liquid crystal display on the back of the camera, much less power the =
shutter.  What I found interesting is that the battery indicator has a =
functionality to reveal lowered battery output, and it read full power =
until the batteries were fully depleted.  No hint of imminent failure.  =
I conclude from this that if my experience is representative, power =
output curve on these lithium batteries must be constant at full rated =
voltage until they die. =20

The good news is that the meter and shutter will receive a constant =
amount of battery power throughout the life of these lithium batteries.  =
The bad news is that an R8 user, despite careful checking of battery =
power status may be left unaware that his/her batteries are nearly =
depleted.  And with the R8, one must have battery power!
Perhaps this seems obvious, but the steady-until-exhausted aspect of =
these batteries could fool an R8 user into thinking marginal power =
reserves were adequate. =20

Any critical shoot using an R8 demands a spare pair of batteries, and R8 =
users should remain aware that the power output curve of lithium =
batteries is such that little or no warning is provided of their =
impending failure.  Hope this proves useful information--carrying around =
a spare pair is certainly less of a hassle than having your camera quit =
unexpectedly when the battery indicator has very recently registered =
full power.=20

Enjoy the light!

Greg Bicket

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BDDC09.A69F0E20

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>Hello all,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Learned something interesting today regarding lithium battery =
output=20
dynamics which may be helpful to R8 LUGgers.&nbsp; Perhaps some LUGgers =
are=20
aware of this, and I suspect that this may be more a function of lithium =
battery=20
output than it is of this particular application.&nbsp; On Saturday last =
near=20
Denver, Colorado, a small airport hosted a visit by an old B-17 and a =
Heinkel=20
111.&nbsp; The Confederate Air Force owns these airplanes and for a =
nominal fee=20
permitted walk [climb] through inspections.&nbsp; Beautiful aircraft, =
and great=20
fun.&nbsp; Using primarily an Elmarit-R f2.8 24mm and a Vario-Elmar-R f4 =
35-70,=20
I shot a couple rolls of 36 exposure film.&nbsp; Everything functioned =
fine, and=20
the winder drew film through the camera nicely.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>At the beginning of the picture making, the battery readout on the =
back of=20
the R8 indicated full battery power.&nbsp; I have been noting the =
indicator=20
readout when I turn on the camera for some time, as I expected the =
batteries=20
would have failed well before this.&nbsp; They Energizer lithium CR123A=20
batteries were installed in March, 1998, and I have since put between 20 =
and 25=20
36-exposure rolls of film through the R8+Winder combination.&nbsp; =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Certainly no complaint about battery life!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This morning, there was no trickle of power from these =
batteries.&nbsp;=20
Nada, niente, rien, zero, zippo.&nbsp; Not even enough to light the =
meter, or=20
liquid crystal display on the back of the camera, much less power the=20
shutter.&nbsp; What I found interesting is that the battery indicator =
has a=20
functionality to reveal lowered battery output, and it read full power =
until the=20
batteries were fully depleted.&nbsp; No hint of imminent failure.&nbsp; =
I=20
conclude from this that if my experience is representative, power output =
curve=20
on these lithium batteries must be constant at full rated voltage until =
they=20
die.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The good news is that the meter and shutter will receive a constant =
amount=20
of battery power throughout the life of these lithium batteries.&nbsp; =
The bad=20
news is that an R8 user, despite careful checking of battery power =
status may be=20
left unaware that his/her batteries are nearly depleted.&nbsp; And with =
the R8,=20
one <STRONG>must </STRONG>have battery power!</DIV>
<DIV>Perhaps this seems obvious, but the steady-until-exhausted aspect =
of these=20
batteries could fool an R8 user into thinking marginal power reserves =
were=20
adequate.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any critical shoot using an R8 <STRONG>demands</STRONG> a spare =
pair of=20
batteries, and R8 users should remain aware that the power output curve =
of=20
lithium batteries is such that little or no warning is provided of their =

impending failure.&nbsp; Hope this proves useful information--carrying =
around a=20
spare pair is <STRONG>certainly</STRONG> less of a hassle than having =
your=20
camera quit unexpectedly when the battery indicator has very recently =
registered=20
full power. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoy the light!</DIV>