Subject: [Leica] RE: m3/m6 wide angle advise
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:40:00 +0000

I currently use an M6 with an M3 in reserve but rarely used.   My wide
angle
is an old Summaron 35mm with specs but I now want to replace this with a
28mm
more suitable for the M6.

Will I be able to use the new lens on the M3 with the turret viewfinder
that I
have (Russian but inc. 28mm) and if I do how will I focus?   Will it give
me
the 50mm broghtline through the camera viewfinder and will I use the
normal
split image (50mm) to focus?   Or should I hang on to the Summaron and
buy the
new lens without trading in the old?   Remember that I now rarely use the
M3.

Thanks,
Gerry
=======================================
Gerry,
If you're getting a Leica lens for the M6, make sure it's not the first
version which doesn't meter properly.
Sure you can use it on the M3 with that seperate (Russian) viewfinder,
but check the image is the same. Put some tracing paper on the film
track, set the shutter on B, hold it open with a cable release and look
at the image, Is it the same as what you see through that viewfinder?
I know that another non-Leitz viewfinder let me down really badly one
time, the view was miles out...
Focussing is as normal with the central rangefinder image, no matter what
the frame lines are showing.
Hang onto the 35mm lens if you can, or you want, at least you won't need
a seperate v/finder for that.

all the best,
Jem