Subject: [Leica] Diafine
From: "Philip Kokoczka" <philip63@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:21:43 PDT

Dan Post wrote:
>>Also- do any of you out there use Diafine? I find it a pretty good
developer for hot weather use.<<

I first used Diafine in my high school photography class way back in
1965. In fact, (to keep this post Leica oriented) I first used it to
process some TriX pictures I took for the school paper at my HS football
game with the photography teachers pride and joy-his M3 with 135mm
Hektor. Since first using the teachers M3 I have gone thru an Exakta, a
couple of Nikon models, a Minox C, a Hassy, and now finally an M6 outfit
supplemented with a 1954 M3 with a 135mm Hektor lens. And I still use
Diafine but now with Agfa 400. I have yet to find a B&W developer that I
like better than Diafine. I use Diafine all year around-not only during
the hot weather. It gives me about a 1/2 stop advantage in EI and I love
the sharpness in the film grain. The Diafine developed negs are also
extremely easy to print and seem to have a sparkle not there with other
developers. I am suprised that there is so little use of Diafine out
there with all the advantages it gives-i.e. time and temperature in the
A & B solutions not critical.

Phil