Subject: Re: [Leica] plastic or metal tank
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 22:08:28 -0400

I must toss my $.02 into the plastic v. Stainless debate.

There is no comparison to the Hewes reels for ease of loading. There is no
other 220 stainless reel that you can load correctly more than 50% of the
time. Still, for a rookie, plastic is slower, but safer.

But I haven't used my Hewes reels since I bought a Jobo. The 1500 series
Jobo tanks are compatable with Jobo processors and can be used with Hewes
reels, but the tank is too small for good chemical flow and volume. I use
the Jobo 2500 series tanks, which are designed for use on their sides in a
rotary processor. The 2500 reeels load well, but not as quickly as the
Hewes stainless. Jobo 2500 or Hewes, I have never had a kink with any of
them. I can't say the same for some of the cheaper stainless reels.

I know it was a beginner who asked this question and started this thread,
but I address this to all of you tank shakers that heve been doing it for
years. You will never be sorry about the money you spend on a Jobo, even if
it is just a bathtub with a motor.

You cannot truly know you are using the exact same method without the
temperature control that a Jobo (or some water jacket) provides. It's easy,
tidy and, as I am doing now, you can answer Email while your film is in the
developer.

Besides, they're made in Germany, the home of (get ready, I'm bringing this
back on topic) Leica.

Tom

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria