Subject: Re: [Leica] plastic or metal tank
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 10:59:19 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> The research I saw by Darkroom Techniques magazine was that plastic reels
> give a tiny bit more even development. But I hate them. You can't roll film
> on them when they're wet (and some day you will want to - have a hair dryer
> ready).

One tip I learned from very precision-oriented associate about plastic
reels.  He recommended rinsing them in distilled water and drying with
towel.  He said if you don't rinse with distilled water, the lime and
other minerals (especially if air dried)remain on the reels and do micro
scratches that makes them harder to clean residue of hypo that he said
would affect development time.   I followed his advice, and my reels
look shinny as the day they were purchased.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego