Subject: [Leica] FW: Luna Pro meters and batteries
From: Andrew Morang <morang@magnolia.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:37:35 -0500

To the reader who inquired about Luna Pro meters:

The mercury PX625 batteries are still available in Europe.  I just =
bought two in Lugano, Switzerland, in July.  Last year, I bought a =
Chinese PX625 in an electronics-supply store on Canal Street in =
Chinatown, New York.  Unfortunately, the store has closed, but it seems =
that someone in the U.S. imports the mercury cells.

A short story about Luna Pro meters:   For many years I used a Luna Pro =
(CDS cell) with good success.  However, the plastic aged and it =
literally began to crumble apart (similar to some of the plastic in my =
1981 BMW's dashboard).  Finally it self-destructed in my =
brother-in-law's jeep on a mountain road in Evia, Greece.  End of an old =
friend (the Luna pro, not the brother-in-law).

As a replacement, I bought the Luna Pro digital.  It has been great.  I =
have experienced no problems at all, and exposures with Kodachrome 25 =
were fine from the beginning using either incident or reflected =
readings.  Theoretically, the LP digital is not quite as sensitive at =
the low end as the old Luna Pro.  However, in real dark places, the =
needle in the old Luna Pro took a long time to settle, and I was never =
quite sure when it was done drifting downward.  The new meter instantly =
gives you the correct exposure.  Therefore, it is easier to use in low =
light.  The digital uses a single AA battery that can be purchased =
anywhere.

Andy Morang
Vicksburg, Mississippi, USA