Subject: Re: [Leica] plastic or metal tank
From: Dave Richards <dprichards@uswest.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:58:14 -0600

>Digital processing of my B&W negatives has made me realize that I need
>control of the entire process and I want to get back to developing my
>own film (Its been 25 yrs).  A very basic question:  I am getting
>conflicting advice on metal vs. plastic tanks and reels.  Any
>preferences on the LUG?  I will start with a one roll tank.

I switched to plastic tanks (Jobo) because I find the plastic reels easier
to load.  I have never been able to get the hang of properly loading a
metal reel.  Also, my plastic tanks have never leaked, something I can't
say about my old Honeyewell Nikors.

In terms of ultimate quality and durability, if you take care of them,
don't drop them on concrete floors or step on them, and don't subject them
to extremes of heat and cold, there's no reason why one won't last and
provide the same degree of service as the other.