Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:High speed or new x-ray at airports
From: "Noel H. Charchuk" <nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 10:10:17 -0600 (MDT)

In an interesting side note to this thread, I travelled through Calgary,
Dallas, Tampa, Chicago, Toronto and Winnipeg airports a week ago. I gave
my 2 cameras to the security guards at all of them to hand inspect, as I
didn't want them scanned. I was using a IIIa, and also had a (shudder,
shudder) Kodak APS. Honest, I was only using it for record keeping shots
of my site visits!!! In all the airports, the APS was no problem, they
looked at it, saw the LCD display when it was opened and were happy. The
Leica! Well that was a different situation, none of the security guards
seemed to understand what it was they were looking at, how do you turn it
on, where is the display, etc. It was subject to more handling than it
would have received at a camera show!
I found it all rather amusing except at DFW where I was tight for my
connection, and didn't need to be spending time educating security guards
in classic cameras.
Noel Charchuk