Subject: [Leica] several topics
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:12:58 +0200

The Delta 3200 should be useful when used from EI 400 to EI 25000.
Be careful here. Sensitometrical tests I did with the Fuji 1600and Kodak's
TM3200 show a true ISO speed of 500-650 in the case of the Fuji and
ISO800-1000 in the caseof Kodak. Whatever people will tell: pushing will
not give more true speed but just a more or less acceptable under-exposure.
And a better printable midrange, that has the same information content as
the normally exposed/developed version. You will have to wait till I test
the delta3200.
I used the TMax3200 at EI400 in full daylight and capured an unbelievable
subject brightnes range of 8 stops. Fine grain too but a bit weak on
sharpness of fine details. Still a nice film at that speed and an
unbeatable slope. Glamour photographers, give it a try.

Agfa has issued improved versions of the Colorneg range Otima  and improved
versions of the RSX 50-200, famous for neutral colour reproduction. I now
use a computer controlled CIELAB measurement instrument and will report in
due time on its characteristics.

The Hasselblad Xpan gets very hyped up reviews. I am really wondering if it
can ever leave its very small niche and will get some followers. I am no
friend of panorama pictures and for use as a normal 35mm camera I can see
no advantages in using the Xpan. Again for full body portraits it might be
interesting.

I indeed missed the request to give some info on how to test a lens. I am
afraid I cannot do that online as it is really a long story. I would also
advice against doing serious testing as it really requires some knowledge
and equipment. My advice would be this: take pictures on tripod from your
favorite subject in low and high contrast lightning conditions on film with
a very low ISO value. (25 to 100). NOT on colourneg film. Always use a
reference lens in order to have some real comparison. Use all lenses you
wish to compare at a distance equal to 100 times the focal length.
Compare the pictures at least at a 10 times enlargement/projection and
choose the one you feel comfortable with and gives you enjoyable images.
Ask a final conclusion from poor chaps like me, who like to spend days
looking at testbench figures and wondering how to translate these figures
into usable conclusions.

Erwin