Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #281
From: Andrew Collings <studio@andrewcollings.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 98 10:37:34 -0500

Hi to the group. I've been reading the postings the last few days to
learn more about the M system as I save up the $$$ to get started. I now
have a few questions I'd like to ask the group:

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my 1st Leica (M). I've been an EOS
user for most of my professional career and am excited about the
opportunities the swift silent rangefinder (not to mention the Leica
optics) will offer me.
I'm trying to make the correct decision on what to buy and was hoping
some of you might give me your input:

I've decided to buy a new M6. What's up in the air is which lens to buy:
I want to do low-light scenes and know I want a 35/1.4. I'm wavering
between the new 35/1.4 ASPH and a ten year old 35/1.4. The
new is $2600 and the used is $900. I'm concerned about the obstruction of
the hood/lens in the finder of the aspherical. Even with the "cutout" it
seems a hassle. Is this something you get used
to?

With the used one, I wonder if the two "holders" on the aperture ring
will be easy enough to get to in a speed situation, especially with a
hood. Also, is $900 too cheap for a lens of this type that the dealer
claims is in mint condition?

Andrew Collings

http://www.andrewcollings.com
Voice: 312 455-1791