Subject: Re: [Leica] New Hasselblad 35mm Rangefinder Camera
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:55 +0100 (BST)

> Hasselblad's marketing philosophy has taken a sour turn over the
last
> few
> years, IMO.  They introduced a CB range of lenses in 60, 80 and 160
mm
> focal lengths, which cost less, and which have slightly lower
optical
> quality and physical design than their CF and FE lenses, hoping to
> attract
> new customers.  They have mainly concentrated on high-end, high
quality
> equipment in the past.

[snip]

It seems to me that Hasselblad is suffering from the classic malaise
of the quality manufacturer.

What's the most dangerous competitor to a brand new 503cxi?
A regularly serviced used 500CM.

Same applies to the lenses. With the exception of new items like the
180mm CF (*super* lens, by the way), who would buy a new CF lens when
there are perfectly good user CT* lenses for half the price? Not I.

It's a very common problem when what you make is made to last and to
be repaired and serviced. Hasselblad is probably diversifying because
while it has not saturated the market for its style of MF camera, it
has made significant steps towards saturating that market.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk
(+44) 171 917 6272