Subject: [Leica] [Fwd: Pradovit]
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 06:55:18 +0200

- --------------97847983AA7AA90776DFDD72

Hi LUGgers,

Below is a message I received from Pieter Krigee at Foto Nivo-Schweitzer in
Amsterdam, explaining some of the differences between the Pradovit 150 and 600
and giving some of their origins. I thought it would be of interest to the
list.

Nathan

> I think the P150 will accept a Colorplan. Still I think the P600 is a
> better projector. The temperature is better controlled (the slide will not
> be that warm and will stay flatter in the slideframe), the evenness of the
> light is better (better condensers), and mechanicaly is is of a much better
> basis. Also if you will project your slides for a longer time (more hours
> after each other) the transport of the slides will stay good. If you use
> cheap projectors for more than 30 minutes the temperature inside the
> projector will raise too high. That is not good for the projector. The
> Pradovit P150 was not a design of Leica. Years ago Leica bought the old
> Zeiss Ikon (Zett) factory. Leica needed a cheap projector to make the
> people get interested in Leica projectors. At one time Leica thougt that
> not enough people knew the brand Leica. Too few shops had a Leica-product
> for sale. Almost at the same time they also came on the market with the
> Leica AF-C1 compact camera. This was an experiment to make more profit.
> The shop-price of the old Zeiss Ikon projector (the Leica P150) was about
> NLG 219,00 with a 85mm lens. This moment the Pradovit P150 with the same
> lens (with a new name) costs about NLG360,00.
> The P600 was also a Zeiss Ikon projector, but of a much higher quality. The
> projector was maybe better than the original Leica projector. Leica was/is
> world famous because of the quality of the Colorplan lens. I think 4 years
> ago they also came on the market with a Super-Colorplan. This was a lens
> that had to compete with a Zeiss Ikon 90mm Super Talon (I think the name
> was).
> There is an expresion that goes as if you can't beat your enemy, join them
> (or buy them). So that is what they did.
> So the P150 is politic and profit!

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html
Motorcycle page:  http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/1704/index.html

- --------------97847983AA7AA90776DFDD72

According to a Leica dealer in Amsterdam, where I recently bought my
Pradovit
P600, the P150 is Leica's "consumer grade" projector and does not accept
the
better lenses such as the Colorplan 2.5/90. Since it is the lens that makes
the image, you should make sure that you buy a projector that allows you to
use the Colorplan. I believe that is the case with the P300.

I think the P150 will accept a Colorplan. Still I think the P600 is a
better projector. The temperature is better controlled (the slide will not
be that warm and will stay flatter in the slideframe), the evenness of the
light is better (better condensers), and mechanicaly is is of a much better
basis. Also if you will project your slides for a longer time (more hours
after each other) the transport of the slides will stay good. If you use
cheap projectors for more than 30 minutes the temperature inside the
projector will raise too high. That is not good for the projector. The
Pradovit P150 was not a design of Leica. Years ago Leica bought the old
Zeiss Ikon (Zett) factory. Leica needed a cheap projector to make the
people get interested in Leica projectors. At one time Leica thougt that
not enough people knew the brand Leica. Too less shops had a Leica-product
[...]

Hope to hear/see you soon and in the meantime make beautiful pictures,

with kind regards,

Pieter

- --------------97847983AA7AA90776DFDD72--