Subject: Re: [Leica] class action suit
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 23:05:58 -0400

Bruce,

I appreciate your passion. I appreciate all who urge us not to forget
the holocaust. Or, as Santayana said, those who fail to learn from
history are doomed to repeat it. I lost great-uncles and aunts in the
holocaust and I share similar passions.

What I don't appreciate is your vitriol and attitude to members of this
list. This is a perennial topic that comes up: Leitz's involvement with
the Nazis during and preceeding the war. Marc Small, who is a valuable
and knowledgeable contributor to this list, who has written numerous
books on Zeiss and Leitz, and who  maintains no small degree of
objectivity, is whom Eric has referenced.

You may not have been a member during the last go-round on this topic
but it really was hashed out quite a bit. You may want to go to the
archives to see some of the history. In fact, all of you who are
bringing this up again may want to revisit the archives.

I don't want to go through this again on the LUG. It becomes a pissing
contest of who's wrong and who's right and I don't think any of us favor
the Holocaust, are revisionists or bear any complicity by using Leicas.
Never Again means acting now to prevent present and future occurences.

Finally, as a Jew, I have greater problems with fellow Jews who drive
Mercedes and the like since that company was so helpful in developing
some of the technologies that made the gas chambers so efficient.

Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

> Well who the hell is Mark and what are his qualifications.  No I did not see
> his post.
>
> Bruce S.

- --
Carl Socolow

"Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do." Garrison
Keillor.