Subject: Re: [Leica] (Off Topic) Photographic Printing Workshop
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 07:21:20 -0600

At 10:46 AM 30/08/98 +0000, you wrote:
>There is much to learn from the various ways in which they turned seemingly
>mediocre shots into dramatic works of art.

I'd second Dan's recommendation of this book.  For B&W printing on variable
contrast paper, it will show how you can tweak out a fine print by
split-grade printing.
   Other books which are on the "must read" list for B&W are anything by
Dr. Tim Rudman, especially "Photographic Master Printing Course."  He's
completing a new book on lith printing, and the last two issues of Camera
Techniques offer some sneak previews on what might be expected in those.
The title mentioned above has sold out, so you may have to check for it
through an interlibrary loan.
   Also, see "Gradient Light -- The Art and Craft of using Variable
Contrast Papers" by Eddie Ephraums.  He works mainly with XP2 and Ilford
Multigrade IV, and most of his prints are toned.
   These authors show the straight print before any darkroom manipulation,
and the way the print appears after they have interpreted and printed the
negative.  The Ephraums book even shows the same scene photographed in
colour and in B&W, which really helps if you to see the potential B&W
possibilities of pictorial subject matter.

- -GH