Subject: RE: [Leica] G2 - Autofocus "rangefinder," or interchangeable lens P&S?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:41:19 -0500

At 11:34 PM 8/26/98 -0400, you wrote:

>quotes. But why are you picking on the G2. You say it is not a professional
>camera couched by 'in the terms a M6 is'. Keep in mind that there are
>different types of professionals. You, being a PJ have a certain crieteria,

I'm not really picking on the G2. It just looks like it. :-)

It's a great camera for what it is, but as a professional, I find it has a
few points lacking that need to be fixed. Manual focus is a joke. The AF is
good, but it's slow. Try an F5 then try the G2 again. You'll see what I
mean. And the time from button push to shutter trip is too long.

The lenses are too slow for professional work in my arena. The M6 is ideal
for what I do. That's what I'm saying. They're two different cameras, and
to appreciated them both (it would be nice to own both, but there are
limits to anyone's income!) for what they can do is not to denigrate them
for what they aren't good at.

I refuse to get into discussions of whether it's a P&S or rangefinder, and
that being bad. An F5 or EOS1n in the right mode are almost P&S cameras.
Just with lots of button pushing first. The G2 fits that too.

It's a great camera, with limits. So is the M6. Just different limits that
make them non-competitors.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Drug kingpin Amado Carrillo Fuentes...died from nine hours of
liposuction and plastic surgery -- or, as it's commonly known here in
Beverly Hills, natural causes.

Bill Maher