Subject: [Leica] Re: anti-theft measures
From: salex@IDT.NET (sam alexander)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:20:16 -0500

> At 02:17 PM 8/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >As Popeye used to say "I can't stands no more".
> >
> >The black-tape-to-guard-the-Leica treatment has to be one of the more
> >asinine suggestions I have encountered on the LUG.
> >If a thief wants to steal a camera he won't give a damn if it is a Leica, a
> >Yashica or a Shakahachi.
> >In New York City the thief does not use a loupe to ascertain that the ring
> >is gold before cutting off your finger to get it.

Living and working here in the heart of New York City (Times Square) for
the past twenty years, I can't remember anyone getting a finger cut off. .
.even in the notorious pre-Disney days! And if a Leica owners want to tape,
paint or otherwise alter the camera, I think that's up to them.  I have
done it to make the camera less visible - not necessarily for anti-theft
purposes, and not just
on my Leicas. The downside is that most tape leaves some residue after time.
sam alexander