Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:22:27 -0400

Eduardo:

Welcome to LUG!

The Leica M and R cameras are what we are about. I would be happy to help
you learn about the specifics.

Are you considering new or used?
Are you considering rangefinder (M) or SLR (R) cameras?

To answer your questions regarding focusing.

On the M series (rangefinder) focusing is done at a small rectangle in the
center of the viewfinder. The lens is adjusted until a split image within
the rectangle merges. Very fast and very accurate, especially with wide
angle lenses. The R series (SLR) does NOT autofocus. Focusing is achieved
on the screen in the finder, similar to other non-autofocus SLRs.

Cheers!

kw

>Hi people at Leica list.
>
>I'm new on this list (subscribed today, 2 hours ago). I'm a photographer
>and live in Brazil (in Sao Paulo city) and also am totaly ignorant (under a
>good sense) on Leica. I'm considering to buy one but I need to know more
>about the camera and the models. In order to not bore this list with basic
>questions, I am asking for some help regarding, where to find the basics
>for newbies. Must have a FAQ or Web Page. Questions regarding how to focus
>on a viewfinder camera, or autofocus on SLR, and several other "etc" are in
>my mind since I started to consider the buying of a Leica camera. I want to
>thank you for any answer.
>

>Regards
>Eduardo Becker
>bss@uol.com.br

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>