Subject: [Leica] Parallax concerns
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 06:05:39 -0600

Developed some film yesterday, shot over the weekend.  I lost one edge of
an important image.  I'm wondering if rangefinder parallax had something to
do with it.
   I was taking a picture of the front grill of an old car (a 1956
Studebaker Golden Hawk ... only 4071 were produced).
   I framed the image carefully in the viewfinder, making sure that I got
the full grill in.  I framed very close to the edges of the framelines
(standard M6, 50mm lens, distance about 1.5 m away from the subject).
   The negative shows the right edge of the grillwork cut off.  I'm sure
that I framed this properly to get the entire grill in.  I thought that the
framelines in the viewfinder shifted slightly to compensate for
close-focusing distances.  However, it appears that there may be something
going on that I am not aware of.  At close distances with a rangefinder, is
it necessary to frame more loosely, and leave some free space at the edges
of the negative to compensate for parallax?

- -GH