Subject: Re: [Leica] Gathering of the klan
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 98 16:54:26 +0100

Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

>Like it or not, English is the language used in this forum.  Among the =
many
>reasons for this is the incredible richness and nuance possible with this,
>our mother tongue.

There are two denominators in the LUG. We all use or are at least =
interested in Leica cameras. And we all speak and write acceptable =
English. I also agree with Bruce=B4s description of the English =
language as full of "incredible richness and nuance possible with =
this". But that description also fits several other languages. French =
doesn=B4t lack richness or nuance possibilities. And it=B4s also a =
lot more "musical" than English. German is neither musical nor very =
rich, but it is definitely more exakt than most other languages. I =
doubt anyone can miss a point made in German. It=B4s an extremely =
solid, uncompromising and well constructed language. Just like the =
German made Leica.

But in order to keep our American friends on this list I suggest we =
continue to use English as our official language. However, for many =
of us members English will never become "our mother tongue". ;-)

Claes