Subject: Re: [Leica]- Is this heresy, or do you reckon I can get away with it...
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:12:15 -0400

Dan:

I can't speak for Y'all, but I can for me. My _general_ rule is--Leave
brassing alone, it give a camera dignity, showing that has been used as
originally intended. About 18 months ago I bought an R3 Safari w/Summilux.
The camera has a prominent dent on the pentaprism and brassing along the
top and bottom edges. I would never consider touching up the paint on this
camera.

On my M6 I recently used a fine pointed Sharpie to touch up a tiny scratch
on the top edge where the zinc showed through. I have some screw mount
cameras that have shed small pieces of Vulcanite under the lens mount. The
metal below has been touched up with the Sharpie, making the damage less
noticeable.

OTH: I would not do anything to my very near mint IIIg becuase of its value.

Seems to me the touchup or not touchup question is one that can only be
answered by the owner.

Cheers!

kw

>Y'all, I was wondering if it is heresy to use the touch up paint from Fargo
>Enterprises to touch up one's camera, say the back of an M. I notice that
>Harry Fleenor touched up some brassed areas where paint was worn on a camera
>I sent him- didn't think about it as this is a user, but it did make it look
>less like a beater.
>Any thoughts?
>Dan
>dwpost@msn.com

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>