Subject: Re: [Leica] How nice can a cheap M3 be?
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:10:43 -0400

There are indeed bargains to be had, especially if you have LOTS of time to
look for them. The pawn shops I've investigated are not good sources. It
seems the operators have all heard the name Leica so anything with that
name on it gets a ridiculously high price put on it. Two or three times its
reasonable value.

Cheers!

kw

>Go to pawn shops, look at the ads in labs, or hang around repair shops --
>there is always someone who needs the money in a hurry.
>I purchased my M3 DS from a friend for $300 and spent another $50 in
>replacing the leatherette.  The same camera at a shop would probably go for
>approx $800.
>A few years ago when I was an intern at Black Star, a researcher bought a
>Leica CL w/ 50mm Summicron at a pawn shop in Harlem - so there are bargains
>out there, but it's going to take time to find them.
>Regards,
>Robert

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>