Subject: [Leica] TID>Best P&S Lens
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:11:42 -0500

Darrell,

All of the cameras you've listed have pretty good lenses.  The question is
whether or not you would see the difference among the lenses based on the kind
of photography you do.  If you are going to use it with color print film sent to
Fuji or Kodak for processing, the differences in lens quality wouldn't be as
apparent as if you were using Kodachrome 25 or Fuji Velvia for projection.

There are many other things to consider such as size, price, focal length,
ergonomics, warranty, etc.

If I were you I would try to compare the cameras side by side to see if you
there is anything that would cause you to eliminate a camera (size for
instance).   I personally eliminated everything but the T2 and Minilux and chose
the Minilux because I was told the color transmission matched other Leica lenses
(and I was probably a bit prejudiced after using Leicas for more than 40
years).  One thing to consider is that the Minilux pre-focuses before the
exposure is taken while the T2 focuses when you make the exposure.  I consider
this to be an advantage for the Minilux.

After a three week vacation in which the Minilux was put to hard use, I would
opt for it again without a moment's hesitation.  It's only fault is that it's
heavy and bigger than something like the GR-1 and it costs more.

BTW Darrell, you seem to have included an entire digest with your post.  Please
don't do a reply to a digest or that's what will happen.  I recommend that you
add the address of the list to your address book and simply compose a new
message using the list address when you want to post to the list.  The list
address is leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Good Luck
Bud