Subject: [Leica] acetone to clean lenses
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:31:34 -0300

Contrary to most opinions, acetone is used to clean lenses by professional
repair persons.  I have used it myself ( I am not a professional) on older
leica lenses, and it does not affect coatings.  It will however dissolve
any of the flat black paint it comes into contack with, and probably other
paints too.  It is suggested to be used carefully, or for cleaning lens
element when the lens is stripped apart.

Anybody that says it should not be used is not well educated in this aspect
of photography.  I have seen an article in the last year or so in one of
the photo magazines that listed acetone as the best solvent, but suggested
only to use it as a last resort because of health concerns.  It suggested
isopropyl alcohol as an alternative.

If I had a big greasy spot on the front of my $12,000 400 2.8, I would not
hesitate to use acetone to clean it off.  A quick wipe with acetone would
be much less risk than lots of rubbing with a lesser solvent.  I would not
however use it liberally to clean the whole element, but carefully applied
with a microfibre cloth to the spot affected.

Regards,

Robert Stevens