Subject: Re: [Leica] Italy bound, etc...
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:44:26 -0400

Charles wrote:
>=20
SNIP

> Here's the question and answer part of the game. I know how to shoot B&=
> and color transparency film without question. But I use color negative
> almost never. Of course the latitude is great, so getting a good exposu=
re
> is no problem. Color balance and grain are the variables here for me.
> I'll be shooting both B&W and color neg in variable lighting conditions=
,
> some low light. Probably very little flourecent because it's in this
> ancient villa and compound that's supposed to be very, very cool. I hav=
> a tiny flash that I may use very reluncantly at some point. However, I
> will shoot mainly existing light. Now, please, nobody go on about using=
> flash, I just won't do it. I need advice on the color neg film choices.
> Slow, fast, Fuji, Kodak, whatever... Obviously, I want the sharpest and
> finest grain available while considering my speed needs. Any info on th=
is
> topic will help me. If you feel you need, you mail email me privately
> (chaslor@mindspring.com). I know this topic has probably been beat to
> death.

I would seriously consider Fuji's Super G Plus or their NHG II. Both are
ISO 800 films. I routinely use the Super G Plus for almost all my indoor
assignments and jobs and even some outdoor ones as well. Very fine
grain. Incredible latitude. I was (am) impressed. I doubt you'll need to
use flash. I also find it handles artificial lighting and color shifts
in a tolerable, pleasing manner.

> SNIP
> My itinerary
> includes Venice, Florence, possibly Cinque Terre, some Rome, and the
> Orvieta area of Tuscany. Any past experiences or points of view on this
> subject are welcome here. I've lately been rediscovering Kodachrome, my
> mentor. I'll probably bring about 150 rolls of film. Mostly color
> transparency but much B&W as well.
>=20
>SNIP

Venice has some of the most incredible light and beautiful textures I
have ever seen. But I would highly recommend the Cinque Terre. Still not
too discovered. Wonderful small villages. We would walk the Via Amor=E9
(precarious footpath above the towns) for half a day and then take the
local train back to where we stayed. I would shy away from Monte Rosso
(too touristy) and consider Vernazza or Corniglia as places to stay.
Possibly Pensione Sorriso in Vernazza. Phone is (0187) 47224. At least
it was in 1992. Great food and olives there as well. Perfect area for
Kodachrome as well as b&w. Enjoy. I'm envious.

> charles

- --=20
Carl Socolow

"Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do." Garrison
Keillor.