Subject: [Leica] Re: 28-70 vario elmar
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:21:28 -0700

Doug,

The way this lens was explained to me, Leica is using the Sigma optical
formula, but with their specified glass.  Construction is by Kyocera and is
very high quality.  Sigma may have quality control problems due to their
marketing in the lower price ranges, but that does not necessarily reflect
on their lens design expertise.  Their high end lenses in particular are
supposed to be pro quality.

I'm currently using this lens and its performance is excellent.  Sharpness
and color saturation are Leica quality.  There is little barrel/pincushion
distortion on the short and long ends on the zoom range.  This is a very
good "everyday" lens, although a prime lens would be better suited for
reproduction and architectural subjects for best accuracy.

The current 35-70 (?) is supposedly better optically, with an aspheric
element in its design.  I chose to compromise because I value the 28mm short
end and its close focussing distance (.3 meter I think).

Cheers,

John