Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (I think) Hasselblad Xpan
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:40:20 +0100

George Huczek wrote:
> You can get more details about this camera on the Hasselblad website
> <>http://www.hasselblad.com/>

Can you give the full URL for the page on the Xpan as
I can't seem to find it.  Perhaps my service provider
has the index page cached from the last time I looked...

> There is one "feature" that the camera has that really puzzles me.  The
> film rewinds into the cassette mid-roll while shooting, so that if the
> camera back is accidentally opened, the exposed film is not ruined.  The
> camera can tell which formats have been used to get the film back to the
> end of the roll to finish off the remaining frames.

I think you are misinterpreting what is meant.  The film is
wound fully out of the cartridge when you first load it.  Each
exposed frame is then wound back into the cartridge as it is
taken so that if you open the back mid roll, the exposed frames
are in the cartridge and the unexposed film is wound round
the take-up spool.  The film that gets fogged is therefore the
unexposed film, although if you think about the camera design
I would expect the last exposed frame to get fogged too as it
will not be fully wound into the cartridge if the camera is set
for normal 35mm frame size...

Looks an interesting camera.  If the lenses were faster it
would make a compelling alternative to a Leica M.

Simon.